Welcome to The Open Door!
The Open Door is Schenectady's locally-owned independent bookstore and gift gallery, serving the capital region for more than 45 years. We carry a wide selection of literature, with an emphasis on children's books and those of local and regional interest, as well as an expansive variety of toys, gifts, jewelry, stationery, personal accessories and home goods.
Situated in the heart of downtown Schenectady, on pedestrian Jay Street, we're around the corner from Proctors Theatre and countless restaurants!
The Open Door Current Notes and Status
We need to make changes involved with credit card processing on our web site.
Until the changes have been completed, credit card transactions have been disabled.
In the meantime,
- For orders using in-store pickup use pay in store. If you want curb-side pickup, call the store after you have been notified your books are ready for pickup to arrange payment.
- For orders to be mailed, please use our Bookshop.org site Bookshop.org/shop/OpenDoor.
Currently we are open for
- Private shopping by appointment,
- Curbside pickup or in-store pickup of prepaid web orders,
- In-store pickup and pay of web orders, and
- Normal shopping and browsing.
Face masks covering your mouth and nose are required.
Janet and John Hutchison
Our Autumn Newsletter Is Now Available!
You can download and read a PDF copy here.
It's Time for Our Annual Children's Art Contest!
Design a book jacket for your favorite book! Artwork will be judged for originality, creativity, and interpretation of the book’s theme. Entries are due in the store before October 9. Winners in each grade level (one through eight) will receive gift certificates from The Open Door, and all entries will be displayed in the store windows Nov. 14-21. You can download a PDF with the full rules and entry form here.
Upcoming Events Next Several Weeks
“Giragosian’s fierce, gorgeous poems embody our role as one in body and mind with other peoples, plants and animals...they invoke the beauty around us, and in us.”