Welcome to The Open Door!
The Open Door is Schenectady's locally-owned independent bookstore and gift gallery, serving the capital region for 50 years. We carry a wide selection of literature for adults and children, including those of local and regional interest, as well as an expansive variety of toys, gifts, jewelry, stationery, personal accessories and home goods.
Situated in the heart of downtown Schenectady, on pedestrian Jay Street, we're around the corner from Proctors Theatre and countless restaurants!
Supporting the Open Door in 2024
Thank you for your support in 2023!
Currently we are open for
- In-store shopping and browsing,
- E-mail us at firstname.lastname@example.org [include phone number],
- Curbside pickup or quick in-store pickup of prepaid orders,
- In-store pickup of web orders,
- In-store shopping by private appointments, and
- Personal shopper service — call or email for options to shop remotely.
Note that for book orders to be mailed, you can also use our Bookshop.org site Bookshop.org/shop/OpenDoor.
Janet and John Hutchison