Welcome to The Open Door!
The Open Door is Schenectady's locally-owned independent bookstore and gift gallery, serving the capital region for 50 years. We carry a wide selection of literature for adults and children, including those of local and regional interest, as well as an expansive variety of toys, gifts, jewelry, stationery, personal accessories and home goods.
Situated in the heart of downtown Schenectady, on pedestrian Jay Street, we're around the corner from Proctors Theatre and countless restaurants!
Supporting the Open Door in 2021
Face masks are required, regardless of vaccination status. We thank you for helping keep our community safe.
We could never have imagined a year like 2020! We are so thankful for all of your support!
- You helped us get through the lockdown months of March April and May with your web orders, emails, and phone orders.
- You welcomed us back when we were able to open our doors again in June.
- You have helped us navigate all the new guidelines by wearing your masks, keeping a distance, and at times waiting outside when we were at capacity.
- Your patience and understanding was overwhelming.
- Your kind messages of support were appreciated and kept us going when things were tough.
We thank you for shopping local as we enter 2021 and our 50th year.
Currently we are open for
- In-store shopping and browsing,
- E-mail us at email@example.com [include phone number],
- Curbside pickup or quick in-store pickup of prepaid orders,
- In-store pickup of web orders,
- In-store shopping by private appointments, and
- Personal shopper service — call or email for options to shop remotely.
Note that for book orders to be mailed, you can also use our Bookshop.org site Bookshop.org/shop/OpenDoor.
Janet and John Hutchison
Know a budding artist? Entries for our Children's Arts Contest are due before Oct. 8.
The Open Door is looking for entries for our annual Children's Art Content, when we invite kids to design a book jacket for their favorite book! Artwork will be judged for originality, creativity, and interpretation of the book’s theme. Entries are due in the store before October 8. Winners in each grade level (one through eight) will receive gift certificates from The Open Door, and all entries will be displayed in the store windows Nov. 13-20.
Download a PDF of the Children's Art Contest rules and entry form here.
Our fall newsletter is available!
Download a PDF copy here.