Welcome to The Open Door!
The Open Door is Schenectady's locally-owned independent bookstore and gift gallery, serving the capital region for more than 45 years. We carry a wide selection of literature for adults and children, including those of local and regional interest, as well as an expansive variety of toys, gifts, jewelry, stationery, personal accessories and home goods.
Situated in the heart of downtown Schenectady, on pedestrian Jay Street, we're around the corner from Proctors Theatre and countless restaurants!
Holiday Shopping — 2020 Style
Thank you for shopping early.
- We need to avoid crowding in December. The store tends to be less crowded on weekdays and mornings.
- Due to supply chain challenges, it may be difficult to satisfy last minute requests.
Currently we are open for
- In-store shopping and browsing,
- E-mail us at email@example.com [include phone number],
- Curbside pickup or quick in-store pickup of prepaid orders,
- In-store pickup of web orders, and
- Personal shopper service — call or email for options to shop remotely.
Note that for book orders to be mailed, you can also use our Bookshop.org site Bookshop.org/shop/OpenDoor.
Face masks covering your mouth and nose are required.
Janet and John Hutchison
Gift Certificates Make the Perfect Gift!
Make your holiday shopping even easier with gift certificates! Our gift certificates can be purchased for any amount, in store or over the phone. They never expire and we will gladly mail them for you.
Don't Box Out Independent Bookstores
It is more important than ever to shop local.