Caldecott winner Emily McCully will be signing her new book She Did It!: 21 Women Who Changed the Way We Think.
Prepare to discover new heroes among these twenty-one women who challenged the status quo, championed others, and made their voices heard. From Jane Addams to Alice Waters, from groundbreaking artists and social justice advocates to scientific pioneers and business innovators, a strong thread of trailblazing women runs through American history. Written in compelling, accessible prose and vividly illustrated by Caldecott Medalist Emily Arnold McCully, this collection of inspiring and expertly researched profiles charts the bold paths these women forged in the twentieth century.
The subjects profiled include:
- Jane Addams, Ethel Percy Andrus, Ella Baker, Gertrude Berg, Rachel Carson,
- Shirley Chisholm, Joan Cooney, Isadora Duncan, Barbara Gittings, Temple Grandin,
- Grace Hopper, Dolores Huerta, Billie Jean King, Dorothea Lange, Patsy Mink,
- Vera Rubin, Margaret Sanger, Gladys Tantaquidgeon, Ida M. Tarbell, Madame C. J. Walker,
- Alice Waters, Second Wave Feminism
Emily Arnold McCully divides her time between New York City and upstate New York. She has won many awards for her children's books, including the Caldecott Medal for Mirette on the High Wire.